Singapore Journalism / Writing Jobs @ TSL
TheSmartLocal writing positions
TheSmartLocal team is a special collection of locals who love sharing the best of Singapore with readers. We are currently looking to expand our team of writers and for a limited time period, we will be accepting applications. If you're interested in instantly receiving wide exposure and readership for your content and developing your writing portfolio, this writing job would appeal to you.
The best candidates would be locals with a true passion for writing, aspiring journalists / mass comm students or those looking to take up writing part-time to open up more opportunities for themselves.
To maintain the high quality of writing present on our site, only applications of a certain caliber that shows both dedication and ability will be accepted.
- First and foremost a love for writing and the satisfaction of sharing your thoughts with others.
- A good command of the English language. We value being able to articulate your thoughts in a clear and engaging way over having a fancy pants vocabulary.
- The style of writing on our site is personal, natural and FUN. That is essentially what makes our content so enjoyable to read and our writers are expected to write in this style. Leave the boring formal copywriting out.
- Locals or PRs who have lived in Singapore for at least 5 years who are outgoing and know Singapore well.
- Active on social media through blogs, twitter or online communities.
- Photographers / instagramers that take pride in taking that perfect picture.
This is a voluntary position but there are several great benefits that come from writing with us. The biggest being the growth and development as a writer with experience that can be added to your portfolio.
- Contributing your thoughts to a popular local site that will instantly expose your writing to over 100,000 readers each month.
- A dedicated platform to refine and hone your writing abilities. Many writers have had their writing substantially improve since joining our site and our writers are personally mentored and given on how to improve their writing further.
- You can link back to your blog wherever your writing appears to divert some traffic to your own pages and your writing portfolio and readership will be further developed.
- Top writers have the opportunity to write front-page features.
- Top writers have the opportunity to attend complimentary media invitations ranging from sponsored holidays to spa treatments to food tastings. Examples here.
- Top writers who plan to work in relevant areas will be given a personally written reference from TheSmartLocal which can be used in future job applications.
Google loves TSL.
Our content ranks extremely well in google meaning your content will be visible to a wide audience. Just go to google and type "food delivery" or "best blogshops". We effortlessly rank extremely high even for such competitive search terms which some companies pay thousands of dollars to maintain.
TSL is Google Authorship friendly.
Another great feature coded into our site is our compatibility with Google Authorship, thus displaying your authors picture alongside your content which goes a long way to helping build a name for yourself. Read Nicole's blog here when she pleasantly surprised to one day see herself on google!
Our 5 minute guide shows you how you can get your articles displayed in google searches on TSL just like the picture you see above, which helps tremendously in building your portfolio and giving identity and ownership to your content.
TSL welcomes Singaporean and Malaysian bloggers to contribute on our portal, regardless of the amount of blog traffic you get. Newer bloggers who aren't as established yet will find this a very helpful method to promote your blog and send more traffic your way.
For established bloggers, this also increases your backlink and writing portfolio and if you are well known your reviews will be made to stand out more and appear in a special color. To help our bloggers we code in many features on our site so readers can learn more about them with links to their blogs, twitter, instagram, etc.
Simply put, the more reviews you write, the more times and more exposure you will get for your blog and links. Of course you need to write well to grow a following and be worth checking out.
We have two very important rules for bloggers to follow.
- We only accept bloggers who write well as we have a strict moderation policy. Look at the reviews around our site to get an idea of the standard we accept.
- Your reviews have to be original so strictly no copy / pasting dumping from your blog. Your content must be unique and not appear elsewhere and be something our readers will enjoy reading. Writing summaries of your blog posts which are re-worded and unique are fine.
Another blogger friendly feature we have is when writing reviews, you can simply specify your blog post URL from your full review and it will appear automatically below. Note, no copy / pasting is allowed and you are required to re-write your review.
Step 1: Register an account on TheSmartLocal.
Step 2 (Optional): If you wish to be eligible for our media invitations, article writing and team email your application and in it include:
- Name, Age, TSL username
- Education background
- What you are doing presently
- Why you think you are suitable for this position (2-3 paragraphs)
I think I'm perfect for this position as I am a very avid explorer of Singapore. If there is a new mall in Singapore, I will be there and I will find a weird, out of place cafe there that will become my new guilty pleasure. If there is a new park in Singapore, I will be there exploring it till I find a nice corner where I can finish my book at. There are a lot of places I love especially in Singapore and I only wish I can publicly declare my love for these places and bring more traffic to them.
Never miss our best posts again! Follow us on Facebook!
See our adventures in real time before we blog about them! Follow us on Instagram!
One sun-tanner to rule them all. "Let me lie down in the most random spot"
Latest adventure: We are currently exploring beautiful Krabi on a media familiarization trip with AirAsia and Thailand Tourism Authority. AirAsia has just opened up a new direct flight route to Krabi from Singapore! Would you like to be featured on TheSmartLocal? Contact Us!