Writing with TheSmartLocal
TheSmartLocal writing positions
Note: If you're looking to intern, please go here instead.
TheSmartLocal team is made up of a very special collection of locals who love sharing the best of Singapore with readers. We are a young fun start-up and we don't like the way other writers in Singapore get strangled by editorial red tape and corporate bureaucracy.
There is a lot of creativity and flexibility in our writing and company culture. As such, this will probably be the most wonky job description you will read. We believe writing is meant to be fun and uninhibited.
We are currently looking to expand our team of writers and for a limited time period, we will be accepting applications.
This is a voluntary writing position for people with a true passion for writing. So if you're looking more for a salaried job, this unfortunately is not for you and you should not read beyond this point. Maybe at a later stage we will have full time positions but we are still very young.
However, if you like what we do and are interested in instantly receiving wide readership for your content, honing your writing skills or developing your writing portfolio - this position would appeal to you.
The best candidates for our team would be locals with a true passion for writing and aspiring journalists / mass comm students looking to gain valuable experience.
To maintain the high quality of writing present on our site, only writers of a certain calibre that demonstrate both dedication and ability will be accepted.
How can I become a TSL writer?
Long story short, aspiring writers should first create and register an account on TSL. After which you can start submitting reviews. Try to write about places you really love or really hate for your initial reviews, so they are more interesting. This is the proving grounds stage where you get familiar with our site and we get familiar with your style of writing.
If you pass the moderation period of 10 reviews, you will be promoted and allowed to write editorial pieces. That is when the fun really begins. When you reach 10 reviews just send us an email as specified at the bottom of this post.
- First and foremost a love for writing and the satisfaction of sharing your thoughts with others.
- A good command of the English language. We value being able to articulate your thoughts in a clear and engaging way over having a fancy pants vocabulary.
- The style of writing on our site is personal, natural and FUN. That is essentially what makes our content so enjoyable to read and our writers are expected to write in this style. Leave the boring formal copywriting out to the newspapers and magazines.
- Locals or PRs who have lived in Singapore for at least 5 years who are outgoing and know Singapore well.
- Active on social media through blogs, twitter or online communities.
- Photographers / instagramers that take pride in taking that perfect picture.
We try our best to have our writers grow with us and we often promote them on our social media channels and we give them plenty of opportunities.
- Contributing your thoughts to a popular local site that will instantly expose your writing to over 200,000 readers each month.
- A dedicated platform to refine and hone your writing abilities. Many writers have had their writing substantially improve since joining our site and our writers are personally mentored on how to improve their writing further.
- You can link back to your blog wherever your writing appears to divert some traffic to your own pages and your writing portfolio and readership will be further developed.
- Top writers have the opportunity to attend complimentary media invitations ranging from sponsored holidays to food tastings. Examples here.
- Top writers who plan to work in relevant areas will be given a personally written reference from TheSmartLocal which can be used in future job applications.
Step 1: Register an account on TheSmartLocal.
Step 2 (Optional): If you wish to be part of our editorial team, email your application after 10 reviews and in it include:
- Name, Age, TSL username
- Education background
- What you are doing presently
- Your areas of speciality
- Why you think you are suitable for this position
- Instagram / Blog if any
Application Example (Keep it to 2-3 paragraphs):
I think I'm perfect for this position as I am a very avid explorer of Singapore. If there is a new mall in Singapore, I will be there and I will find a weird, out of place cafe there that will become my new guilty pleasure. If there is a new park in Singapore, I will be there exploring it till I find a nice corner where I can finish my book at. There are a lot of places I love especially in Singapore and I only wish I can publicly declare my love for these places and bring more traffic to them.
Never miss our best posts again! Follow us on Facebook!
See our adventures live before we blog about them!
Follow us on Instagram @thesmartlocalsg!
Read about our latest holiday idea & travel adventure!
We just came back from an AMAZING trip with AirAsia and Thailand Tourism. If you're bored at the idea of going to Bangkok yet again, Pai / Chiang Mai in Thailand offers a refreshing alternative. You're going to love our latest guide here!