TheSmartLocal is an independently owned media publisher that covers Travel and Lifestyle in Singapore. It gives locals high quality hyper-local information on what to do in and out of their country. It is one part blog/magazine with editorial content AND one part review database where members can have their say about everything Singapore.
TheSmartLocal also has its own video channel - TheSmartLocalTV, its own mobile discount app SNATCH, their own print publication and they have expanded their online publication into Malaysia and Australia.
Timeline & Milestones:
- August, 2012 - TheSmartLocal.com is founded
- January, 2013 - TheSmartLocal.com hits 100,000 unique visitors a month
- June, 2013 - TheSmartLocal expands to Malaysia
- January, 2014 - Our YouTube channel, TheSmartLocal TV is started.
- January, 2015 - TheSmartLocal.com hits 1,000,000 unique visitors a month
- February, 2015 - TheSmartLocal expands to Australia.
- Coming soon, 2015 - TheSmartLocal starts its first Monthly print issue.
- Coming soon, 2015 - TheSmartLocal launches SNATCH, a discount Mobile App.
TheSmartLocal was founded by Bryan Choo, a web developer with a passion for travel, food, writing and film making. It was may seem like a mixed bag of skills, but fortunately he could apply all these into the creation of this portal.
He enjoyed using sites like TripAdvisor but found out the reviews were all written by foreigners and thus misrepresentative of the true local experience. He felt it was the locals who knew their country the best, but there was no portal that provided the true local voice. Hence TheSmartLocal was created, to build a hyper-local resource from the inside-out that locals and foreigners could use.
TheSmartLocal has since grown into one of the most influential online media publishers in Singapore. We were fortunate enough to be joined by some very young and talented individuals, who have helped us get to where we are today. Here are the people behind TheSmartLocal.
The People Behind TheSmartLocal
(Bios to be added soon)
Our Press Coverage
- techinasia - "Be a Smarter Local With TheSmartLocal.com"
- yahoo - "12 Startups in Asia That Caught Our Eye"
- e27 - "TheSmartLocal offers quality reviews on restaurants, tourist spots and shopping establishments"
- tnooz - "TheSmartLocal aims to eliminate fake reviews and adopts blog style for quality reviews"
- webintravel - "The Smart Local - using local communities to build trusted review sites across Asia"
- theonlinecitizen - "The fast growing local review site"
If you would like to get in touch with us, you can contact us here.
See our adventures live before we blog about them!
Latest From TheSmartLocalTV